Tuesday 5 August 2014

Dog Days

   My friend (a REAL-live very accomplished potter, drawer, gourmet and animal whisperer) Gary does fun sculptural animals on his pots. I have two mugs by Gary that have pups on the handle, one beagle and one doxie that me made special for me. Gallons of coffee, iced tea and water have gone into these, my favorite mugs. Check out his work at Gary's Third Pottery Blog.
Recently I thought I'd give the animals on the pottery a whirl too. It seemed like it would be fun to blend the animals into the mug handles and to peer over the rim. I'm now working on version 2.0---some things I'd do again, others I'd do differently.


What's in the mug?

Here's looking at you

The animals don't mind if you rest a thumb on them...
disregard the way too loopy handle.

Handy thumb rest.
So I haven't come up with a mug design I totally love yet. I do have ideas for more animal and people handles and for some drawing on the sides...There are lots of ways to make faces.

1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Looks brilliant :) Thanks for the mention! I am always experimenting with how the animals go...and blogged that issue today!