Thursday 17 January 2013

Ted makes it a policy to always stay in his comfort zone
Ted and I probably have a lot in common. Today I became intrigued by the tension between playing to our strengths and straying outside our comfort zones. Some dear friends lent me a their copy of a book titled Flow written by Mihaly Czikszentmihalyi. He describes flow as doing what you enjoy while being challenged yet not overwhelmed. It sort of makes sense, right?
   Today I wondered what would happen if I did ONLY things I was completely comfortable doing. Would I wind up like Ted....asleep all day? On the other hand, what happens when we stretch beyond our "comfort zones" and continually feel as if we're making no headway?
   I think it might be interesting for me to think about those activities I do for work or leisure that are well within my comfort zone and those way outside. Perhaps repeated and disciplined practice expands the zone? 
    The drawing today has its influences in a wonderful book The Cartoonist's Work Book by Robin Hall. He offers us both a very comfortable starting place and some challenge as well.  So...enough gazel naving and name dropping for one day?
Sorry about the odd highlighting....the cut and paste feature got me in trouble and I don't know how to undo the highlighted part. It's out of my comfort zone I guess.

2 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

speaking of flow and Chicksamahoya (sp?) got this fine book, WOWIE! fun and right on for you and me http://www.austinkleon.com/

bartster said...

Thanks for the link, gr! I've read an article and will check out the Ted talk as well. Enjoy that cappuccino!